Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Wild: Do you know what "bugs" me...

....the complete lack of bugs and insects in Wild. 

Strayed mentions the word "mosquitoes" only three times in Wild and only once while she was on the PCT near the end. Oh, and one of those 3 times was when she was singing the Nirvana song to ward off bears and lions or whatever. 

The word "tick" was never used once. 

Really? A story about California hiking and Strayed never once commented on ticks? I get this is a story about her "supposed" transformation, which comes deus ex machina at the end while she eats an ice cream cone, but cmon! That's like Fox News going a full day without mentioning Obama. 

People, it just doesn't make sense.

I just started reading The Cactus Eaters and already there are so many similarities....including calling their over-stuffed backpacks "monsters."



4 comments:

  1. Don't forget about the frogs. That was totally legitimate in every way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah....I'm planning on a separate post which discusses the amazing diversity of wildlife Strayed claims to have encountered in contrast with every other hiker's story.

      Delete
    2. BTW, it looks like one of the Strayed Ones has found it's way to my blog. How did you post for so long without getting trolled and I've not even gone a week???

      Delete
  2. Trolls are the best! I've been waiting for some to appear ever since I started and wtf! Humph. In any case, congratulations on your troll.

    To answer your question, I think maybe I'm scarier than you, Mercer. You write in a more diplomatic, level-headed manner and I talk about setting myself on fire and tormenting psycho-killers until they murder me. I might come off as... unstable... and folks tend to leave crazy people alone.

    I just started the movie review; maybe that'll lure some in. Probably not, though. Sigh. Do I need to leave cookies out for them or something?

    ReplyDelete