Saturday, February 7, 2015

Wild: Nabokov for Everyone!

I cant take credit for this one and boy is it a goody!

A gentleman by the name of Bruce Kuntz posted the following on Ms. Strayed's Facebook page: 
You should be able to click this to see a larger version. 

He also links to this blog which raises the same issue. 

To summarize, in the chapter "The Lou out of Lou" Cheryl accepts a ride from a woman just after she met the (mythical) man who interviewed her for "Hobo Times." In the backseat of the car is a guy named "Spider" who's described at 40ish, dark hair worn in a braid, and wears a black leather vest with a red bandana. I think Cheryl was imagining Danny Trejo when she wrote this scene, but who knows. Spider goes on to tell her how he had been reading about "animals" awhile back and came across a story about an ape who had learned to draw. 

I won't bother recounting all the details of the story, you can see them for yourself on either the FB post above or the link to the blog.

The key thing here is that later on in Wild, Cheryl just coincidentally reads Nabokov's Lolita. In the afterward section of the book, which is contained within the American version, which Strayed read, is the exact same anecdote.

You can read Cheryl's response to her being questioned about it above. At best, she merged something she had read in the book, with something that happened to her in reality. (Okay okay, we are going on the assumption she actually got a ride from Lou and met Spider. I know this is stretching your ability to suspend disbelief). At worst...well, what IS the worst case? She made the whole damn thing up. The former supports hypothesis #2 and the latter supports hypothesis #1. Which is worse?

And look how unapologetic she is in her response. Eh, so what if I just mistakenly thought something I read actually happened? Tee hee! Memory is tricky and stuff! Hee! That's why they call it a memoir! Giggle! Smiley! 


As I sit here thinking, it occurs to me that Cheryl making the entire story up actually also supports hypothesis #2 as it fits right in with the idea she is suffering from narcissistic personality disorder. She doesn't think anyone is smart enough to figure out what she did and that she can just smiley-face it away. 

Goodness gracious. The deeper I go, the scarier this rabbit hole gets. 

By the way, I've just learned that I have been blocked from commenting on Strayed's Facebook page. Not exactly sure what that accomplished. If I really wanted to I could just create another FB page, like she did.  Ginger Nile? How many alternate personalities does this woman have? So far we are up to three counting "Sugar".  It's interesting because I only commented twice on her page and that was a few days ago. She only blocked me a few hours ago, suggesting that she's been poking around Califohioan's Blog or somehow found her way here. It's funny too watching her post multiple articles in an attempt to "push down" the post where she was getting questioned. Ah well.

Do you know what the great thing about truth is? You never have to apologize for it.







5 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the time when I was flying to the moon and one of the rockets on my ship malfunctioned. Tom Hanks was there and he told me about how he ran across the country dressed as a lady. Eventually Sigourney Weaver showed up and shouted, "Get away from her, you bitch,' and spent the rest of the time setting things on fire. This all happened back when Morgan Freeman was President. Remember? Then I hit a homerun that won the game and brought our rocket ship safely back to earth and was finally awarded the Medal of Honor for being the prettiest.

    Happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! OMG...Im outta breath from laughing....

      Seriously though, don't let Cheryl find out you won a medal for being pretty. She'll do you like she did that horse....

      Delete
  2. Mercer, you da' man! I'm a similar vein, in 2008, years before Cheryl wrote WILD, Dan White wrote a book about his journey on the Pacific Crest Trail. The name of the book? "Cactus Eaters: How I LOST My Mind and FOUND Myself on the PCT". Sound familiar? The author and his wife are also WRITERS who had very little hiking experience. The books have similarities beyond the titles and subjects. I sincerely niece Cheryl decided to write her book after the success of Into The Wild and Cactus Eaters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I <3 you Victoria!! Thank you for letting me know about Cactus Eaters. I know which book I'm reading next! I only have about 1/8th of the way to go before I finish the Barefoot Sisters: Southbound.

      Thanks for stopping by too! Glad you found me over here ;)

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure why my tablet is autocorrecting words and making my shit unreadable. Must've hit the Strayed setting.

      Delete